Friday, March 14, 2014

American Smooth.

When I first heard the title, I immediately thought, it has to have a vibe to it.
When I heard the history of Rita Dove and her intellectually stimulating background, I thought of a beloved writer of mine, Toni Morrison.
It was then that I heard her recite her famous poem that I finally felt the Harlem Renaissance.

American Smooth is more than just a poem that is depicting the dancer.
It depicts a facet of the American way of life.
The constant need to be distracted from everyday routine, hard work, pain. The ever-present wanting of escape is achieved not only through dance,
but also through form.
From trying to remain in the correct position, chest perfectly risen, head turned slightly, tilted just enough to gaze past her partner's ear.
When this becomes natural, as natural as breathing,
she will focus on the euphoria felt from every movement of the dance.
It will become her peace, her happiness, her escape from the many terrors and downsides of the world.
And this, this becomes the essence of American Smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment